- Heavily armed police have taken up position around the Lindt cafe in central Sydney
- At least one armed offender holding “undisclosed number” of hostages, police say
- Police still working to determine motivation of offender and have moved to a footing consistent with a terrorism event
- Black flag with white Arabic writing reading “There is no God but Allah” and “Mohammed is the messenger of God” waved behind the hostages
- Martin Place, Sydney Opera House, State Library and all CBD court houses evacuated
- Lindt Australia executive says there are about 10 staff and up to 30 customers trapped in the cafe. Police declined to comment on the number of hostages involved.
- National Security Committee of Cabinet has convened; Prime Minister Tony Abbott described incident as “deeply concerning” and offered NSW all assistance possible.